Friday, May 2, 2008

Start the count down

Welcome to Manic about Manhattan! I am starting this blog a little early, but I wanted to get a jump start before I move to the city. Start the count down... May 27 is the big day! Right now I'm trying to finish my junior year of college without thinking of New York every second. With finals soon approaching and my social calendar filling up quickly, I'm finding it hard to concentrate on school, but there are still two weeks left. 

I've finalized my internship, my housing and travel accommodations, and of course, the first week party plans, but I don't have every second planned. And if you know me... that's how I roll. 

For the past couple of weeks I have been searching for the perfect book. No, not for the plane ride, or the twenty minute subway ride to work each day, but the perfect book about the city.  I don't want the usual book consisting of the cities history, maps, dates, sightseeing, and touristy things. I'm looking for an up-to-date modern way to take the city with both hands and jump right in. I want to know where the best outdoor markets are on the weekends, where to find great shopping, besides the obvious Marc Jacobs, Kate Spade, Barney's, and of course I can't steer far from the beloved Banana Republic. But most of all, since my pockets aren't ocean deep, I want to know what is off the beaten path, but still safe of course. If anyone has any suggestions or interesting findings they want to share, please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment