Tuesday, May 6, 2008

A few little things to spark my interest

Today I was killing time and happen to stubble upon one of the best articles I've read recently. Well sort of. It wasn't the author or the style, but the subject that caught my eye. "Top 10 things to do for free in NYC." This title had my attention immediately. Was it going to be pointless "free" scams or an annoying article that really didn't get the message across? NO! It is totally legit. Now I know a few free things I can do to save a couple dollars when I head to the Big Apple. 
To break the suspense you're all in, I'll tell you what the "top 10 things to do for free in NYC" are. 
*Disclaimer, no i am not going to New York for a tour of the bar scene.

1. Free Booze 
- I know right? How is this possible? "Every day dozens of deals are posted on MyOpenBar for the discerning drinker." Apparently there are a lot of places in SoHo and the Lower East Side listed as well. I'll have to bookmark it.
 
2. Free Culture
-Friday is the day! I knew MOMA had free admission on target Friday nights, but so does The Morgan Library, and the Museum of the Moving Image. And if I can't get enough culture in on Friday, then Saturday's can be spent at Brooklyn's Botanical Garden.

3. Free Food
-A little unbelievable but a lot has changed since beer and peanuts... at least in Manhattan. Several pubs are now giving food away with each beer sold. I'm convinced. "at Lost and Found it's bagels and hot dogs; and at Levee it's cheeseballs, twizzlers, and lollipops." 

4. Free Gallery Openings
-"Clubfreetime is probably the city's best resource for freebeies and is particularly hot on gallery openings."

5. Free Music Documentaries
-I'm checking this out asap. Each Saturday at St Jerome in the Lower East Side, employees of this hide-a-way bar choose music documentaries to be shown against the back wall. And on top of that, they gladly serve $3 Bloody Mary's. (can't steer far from a good Bloody).

6. Free Salsa Classes
-Although this is the farthest thing from my personality to partake it... I'm still including it because it is part of the top 10. Each Friday night the prestigious Latin and Hip Hop dance club,  SOB offers free salsa classes. Hope anyone that goes, totally enjoys themselves.
 
7. Free gigs and club entry
-"If the other freebie sites don't come up with the goods, FreeNYC should offer something to please. Their daily directory of clubs, gigs, poetry and readings, all without cover charges, it a New York hipster staple - and, again, the choice is remarkably good."

8. Free tours and visitor attractions
-Up for debate on whether or not I should take a tour, or explore myself? At least now I 
know there are free tours offered at the Federal Reserve, Times Square, and Central Park.

9. Free Friends
-"New York has its very own hospitality service, Big Apple Greeter. Visitors can contact BAG in advance to be paired with the appropriate Greeter for your interests and desired experience." 

10. Free Comedy
-I want to check out Chelsea. The Upright Citizen's Brigade includes audience involved participation and good for a night of laughs -- free laughs at that. 

2 comments:

  1. Have enjoyed reading your blog. Nice job! Here is your million dollar question...."what is wrong with the title to this blog"? Love ya!

    ReplyDelete