Saturday, November 13, 2010

opera, austin and house guests


Two friends, seniors at Penn State got tickets to the Dave Matthew's concert tonight but came in town Thursday evening to stay for the weekend. While I worked yesterday they had lunch with alumni, walked around the city and went to MoMA. While I was scrambling to finish up work we all got ready to go to Lincoln Center to see New York City Opera's A Quiet Place. Rachel and Hillary have been to the opera in London, but this was my first. We were invited to a Young Patrons cocktail hour before curtain by a friend of mine who works for NYCO.

I ran into old friends, met many new wonderful people while sampling the sushi and sipping prosecco. Among the intimate group was Austin Scarlett, "a designer whose work spans the realms of theatre, high fashion and television." You might also remember him from Project Runway. He is a supporter of NYCO and a charitable friend of the arts.

Being my first opera it was nice that it was in English but with the powerful music and emotion of the cast, subtitles weren't a necessity. Read the synopsis here.

An extra special Friday if I do say so myself. Today -- football of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment