Tuesday, June 24, 2008

90 mph is to slow

This past week has been the best and fastest week since being in the city. Last Wednesday night my best friend, who is currently living in Los Angeles, flew out to visit me for an entire week. I haven't seen her in nearly 18 months, so when I caught sight of her in Penn Station, I ran and screamed and we hugged and we looked like two typical girls. Since Mackenzie arrived, it has been one adventure after another. She accompanied our class on several media tours Friday morning, including a tour of NBC studios, Fox News Business, and of course the GMA summer series concert in Bryant Park which kicked off the morning, rocking to the great but ancient, Boys to Men. 
Saturday and Sunday flew by as we did not stop for much of anything. We shopped in SoHo, went to MoMA, which is hands down my favorite place in the city. We also went to vintage shopping, and found one of a kind original artwork on the street which was to good to pass up. We caught the late showing of Sex and the City, went to Coney Island to put our feet in the sand and ride the Cyclone. (Coney Island: I suggest that everyone visits at least once. If you've been you know what I mean). Oh goodness, thats not even all we did. We saw Wall St., the Statue of Liberty at night, Trinity church, Tribeca, and so much more. 
Monday I took Mackenzie to Toys' R Us in Times Square. We stayed in the Barbie house for at least an hour. Hey, once a kid, always a kid. Our friend Kevin met up with us and took pictures of Kenzie and I with the Naked Cowboy, played in Central park, and toured the American Museum of Natural History. Kevin and I showed Mackenzie back to Times Square to do some more shopping and sightseeing as we had to go to class at the New York Public Library. 
It technically wasn't even class. We heard an amazing story written by a New York Times writer, Lily Koppel, who has recently published The Red Leather Diary. A fascinating story of journalism and stumbling upon a diary nearly 70 years old and being able to reconnect with the owner herself. I plan on getting a copy as soon as I can, but I suggest you read it yourself. I seriously could not keep my eyes and ears off of Koppel's story last night. 

Today Mackenzie and I are going to the Met and Magnolia Bakery before she leaves tomorrow morning. I hope we can fit everything in that she wants to do, but seeing as its almost 1 o'clock... time is slipping away. But I know we will. My guess is, we won't sleep until it is all done. And then, its back to work tomorrow.
  "peace to you..." - magz (and kenzie)

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you experienced Coney Island!!! I absolutely loved it.

    How was Magnolia? Did it live up to the expectations?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love magnolia. the day i went it was snowing and i had to stand outside in line for an hour but it was SO WORTH IT!

    i wish i could come visit again. i miss you like whoa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love magnolia. the day i went it was snowing and i had to stand outside in line for an hour but it was SO WORTH IT!

    i wish i could come visit again. i miss you like whoa!

    ReplyDelete