Wednesday, June 4, 2008

It can't rain on my parade

On my first morning of work, I took the L up to 8th Ave.. and it was... crowded. No, packed. No, over crowded. I can't describe it, but I'm glad I left an hour before I had to be at work. 
I was able to get a seat on the L after a couple of stops but once I finally reached the station at 8th Ave.., I scurried through the masses to catch the A. Luckily, it was there waiting on me. It was fate. "On 45 blocks to go..." I thought to myself. I slipped into the orange plastic seat, crossed my legs, held my purse, and tried harder than ever not to smile like a "cheese-ball."
Needless to say, I wasn't nervous about my first day of work, only filled with a lot of excitement and a tad bit of anxiety. After 45 minutes of riding the train to Columbus Circle, the rain had subsided and I walked towards my building. Now my perfectionism kicked in. I paced in front of the building, (probably looking like an idiot). Yes I paced... back and forth. It was 9:48 a.m. and I didn't know how early to be. Usually I would have ducked into a Starbucks for a quick second, but there was not one in eye sight. Shocker I know. 
Finally I walked in with hundreds of people who actually knew what they were doing. In awe of the waterfalls and escalators I made a right to the information desk.  I sat and waited. I was early. Go figure. A few minutes later I was given directions to the 22nd floor. The lovely girl who I had spoken with on the phone met me when I stepped out of the elevator. I smiled, introduced myself, and felt right at home. The day was filled with design, photo research, and meeting people. 
If this day represents the rest of my summer, then Mom, I'm sorry, I'm not coming home!

-magz

1 comment:

  1. So glad you are learning your way around the City. All the fun has just started! Glad the leather bag is working for you and coming in handy. So glad I thought to suggest you using it. Love ya....and the blog is great.

    ReplyDelete