Thursday, January 20, 2011

busy days

This morning after wrapping up the February issue of Global Finance, I hit the gym then tried to go to the running store to get to insoles for my shoes, but they didn't have any that would work. How is so hard to find insoles with an arch high and hard enough to support a runner with mild over pronation? Needless to say it's much harder than you would suspect. Hopefully the store I try tomorrow will come through.
With no luck on the insoles, I decided i would head from Amsterdam and 76th to York and &75th. To translate this is 2 1/4 miles. And I wasn't taking a fast-paced walk for nothing, I was heading to Camille and Derricks to pick up my coat that I left over there last weekend and some knives that they gave me when they were doing some "winter cleaning."
When I got to the apartment, Derrick was cooking a 5-hour French Onion Soup recipe to have for dinner. It smelled so good that I got a hankering for soup myself.
On my way back I decided to stop at Gristedes grocery store because it is THE ONLY place I have found that sells Claussen's pickles. I know this is silly, but they're the best pickles in the world. While I was picking up pickles I thought about what I would make for dinner.

Chili. It is chili weather, period. With another six inches of snow on its way tonight I figured a big pot of turkey chili would be the perfect thing to tide me over till this cold front blows through. Problem. I've never made chili. And I've never had a good healthy chili --- besides deer chili which I clearly can't do since I have no deer meat, but nonetheless, I googled enough recipes to make my own little mix.

93/7 lean turkey, onion, bell and jalapeno peppers, corn, black beans, garlic powder, oregano, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, a little brown sugar (I didn't have white sugar, so I improvised) along with low sodium vegetable broth, and here's the kicker --- salsa.

It's not my mom's chili but it's darn good. It warmed me right up. And I have plenty of leftovers, so come one, come all... let's get snowed in with turkey chili!

No comments:

Post a Comment