Sunday, January 23, 2011

brrrrrrr

23 and feels like 11 is an understatement. It is freezing. I am sure wherever you are, except for my friend Christine, who is in Puerto Rico with her fiancé for a cotton convention (yes, a cotton convention), you have turned your heat on. Well, I haven't. And it is not because I'm cheap or trying to save money, my heat is included in my utilities which are covered in my rent. The thing is that 90% of the time the building heat is so hot that I end up cracking my window 24/7. The past few days are not the case. This is the 10% of the time where the building heat isn't sweltering. The problem - the radiator.
The radiator in my apartment is under the window and next to my "kitchen." AND the foot of my bed is up against the radiator. Last winter i never turned it on. So to my knowledge, the radiator has not been used in over 2 years.
Does anyone have any expertise (or common knowledge for that matter) about radiators? Can I turn it on without moving my bed? Will it cause a fire? I really don't want to find out how well my renters insurance is by starting a blaze. And we all know the track record of my apartment building and fires... should I just stick it out? I'm not sick, I don't even have a cough or runny nose, so that isn't a worry. But my ATM card might soon be meeting bed bath & beyond to bring home an extra blanket!

Thoughts? Please share. Until them I'll be in my Mizzou sweatpants, razorback sweatshirt (hood up), smartwool ski socks, UGGs, and a giant cup if green tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment