Tuesday, October 26, 2010

fall equals football

college football to be exact. Since moving from the South, I am often asked who my favorite team is. I answer the Missouri Tigers and the Arkansas Razorbacks and then I get a funny look. They meant NFL, I meant NCAA. Even though the Giants won last night, the game had nothing on Saturday's line-up. This past weekend was the 99th anniversary of Homecoming, which was founded at the University of Missouri. On top of the festivities, ESPN Game Day rolled into Columbia as well as the Oklahoma Sooners.
Having the entire day to play before the night game, Camille and I finally made it to brunch together. For her birthday, which was several months, I told her I wanted to take her to brunch at Alice's Tea Cup. Meeting up around three o'clock, we enjoyed the "Mad Hatter" that includes two pots of tea, three scones, two sandwiches and sweet little treats for dessert. Needless to say, half of this went home in a box. But we enjoyed as much of it as we could.

Our three-tiered Mad Hatter at Alice's Tea Cup

After filling ourselves with savory scones and curried chicken salad, we walked through the park to enjoy the fall foliage and gorgeous weather. From the Upper West Side to Midtown East we made a couple of stops along the way but made it to Blackstones a couple hours before the game.

Thank goodness we did! The game didn't start until 8 but the bar was filled by 7. Usually the Missouri fans pack into the back bar and watch there. This week, we filled the large front bar, the usual back bar, and overflowed into a private party being held in the basement bar.

I honestly believe Harpo's was transplanted to New York for the night. Especially since the Alumni Association was selling Harpo's cups at Blackstones! The cheering and the intensity of the game were just like being in Columbia. Beating OU was merely icing on the cake!

Three generations of Chi Omegas from Missouri '07, '08, and '09 grads. Camille and I were sitting down chatting before the game watching as people flooded the back bar and then Camille turns and says, "Don't we know her? Wasn't she a Chi-O?" Before I could say yes, Camille realized it was Megan! I volunteered with Megan during my sophomore year but didn't know she was back in NY. She ended up sitting with us for the game so we had to of course take a picture of our X and Horseshoe! I told you it was like Harpo's on Homecoming.... don't know who you'll run into! M-I-Z!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment