Saturday, May 29, 2010

the arts

Starting off the day with a few wake up calls from Jake while my alarm was buzzing for over twenty minutes I finally realized if I didn't get out of bed I was going to miss Sugarland's concert in Central Park. Thursday night I asked my new friend Jake, a recent graduate from Hendrix who moved to NY only 14 days ago, if he wanted to go to the GMA Summer Concert Series the next morning. His enthusiasm got me pumped up and excited to return to the beloved Friday mornings of music. This week was Sugarland, a popular country band from across the South. Going to the concert was like a blast back to college. If my friend Jordan and I were stressed or just needed to get off campus we would jump in the car, roll all the windows down, pump the volume and keep Sugarland's album Twice the Speed of Life on repeat while we sipped on frozen Coke's from Burger King. After Friday's early morning concert I have a few more good memories including Sugarland. Jake and I plan to go to a few more of GMA's concerts this summer.


Lead singer and guitarist of Sugarland.

After the concert Jake headed to work and I went home to pack for my trip to Kansas City and then by 11:00 a.m. I was seating in the theater awaiting Sex and the City 2 to begin. Don't worry, I know it is still early and everyone hasn't seen it so I won't give any spoilers, but I will say hands down Liza Minelli was hilarious and just might be my favorite part of the sequel.

I met a few friends atop the Metropolitan Museum of Art to enjoy a cocktail as well as view of the city. The new rooftop sculpture is fantastic. Doug and Mike Starn have created a Bamboo installation that will be a work-in-progress throughout the summer. The excerpt below is from metmuseum.org.


More about the Exhibition

Big BambĂș is a growing and changing sculpture―a vast network of 5,000 interlocking 30- and 40-foot-long fresh-cut bamboo poles, lashed together with 50 miles of nylon rope. It will continue to be constructed throughout the duration of the exhibition. The first phase of the structure―measuring about 100 feet long, 50 feet wide, and 30 feet high―was completed by opening day, April 27. The artists and rock climbers are continuing to build up the eastern portion of the sculpture to an elevation of 50 feet. By summer, the western portion of the sculpture will be about 40 feet high. An internal footpath artery system grows along with the structure, facilitating its progress. The evolving state of the work is being documented by the artists in photographs and videos.


I arrived in Kansas City a little before 9 a.m. this morning and have already indulged myself with a Boulevard Wheat (with a lemon) from the local KC microbrewery, Boulevard Brewery.

No comments:

Post a Comment