Wednesday, May 5, 2010

the camping virgin

No technology, no plug-in's, no computer for 48 hours. Feelings are mixed between bliss and withdrawal. Friday evening I will embark on my first camping trip. Who would have guessed that it would take moving 1800 miles away from Arkansas to go camping. I've been to overnight camp in Arkansas, but apparently indoor plumbing isn't a part of the "real camping experience." My friends Camille and Derrick have set up a camping trip for about 15 city dwellers to leave the confines of our concrete playground to get some fresh air.
I don't think they know what their getting themselves into, better yet, I don't know what I am getting myself into. I finally found out the location of this excursion and that will be Clarence Fahnestock Memorial Park on Canopus Lake in the Taconic Region.

When I think of "camping," the picture to the left quickly comes to mind. Well, that and being eaten alive by mosquitoes.
I don't know what the bug life will be like, besides my Mom telling me that ticks are sure get me, but I did my research, and even though the largest black bear population is not within a few hundred miles of our campsite, in 2009 more than 10 were found in the area we'll be in. Cross your fingers my Mother's Day gift isn't "Mom, a bear chewed off my arm!" Just kidding, well, sort of...

Being a camping virgin I have no idea what camping etiquette includes, what to wear or what to bring. My first question that has yet to be answered is, "Where do we shower?" (I'm hoping I hear the answer to that before I leave my "bubble" in Manhattan).
Second of all, the forecast is calling for rain on Saturday. Only 40%, but still, the SwissGear tent I invested $35 in claims to be "all-weather friendly," and "waterproof." I'll believe it when I see it. Due to the chance of rain, it is supposed to be rather cool while we're camping so swimming is pretty much out all together, which means I have to dig through the ten vacuum sealed bags that enclose my winter wardrobe, just to find a sweatshirt and a pair of sweatpants. I have my old sneakers set out and a pair of flip-flops. I can't need more footwear than that, right?

After I dig through the Space Saver bags, I should be able to find my winter running pants, gloves and turtleneck that is water resistant. That should be enough right? I have a rain coat with a hood, so the best I can do otherwise would be buying a poncho or something. Do you think I should invest? I believe this is the first nearly ignorant post I have written as I have no idea what I am getting myself into. My apologies, but only good stories can come from this adventure.

I saw a commercial for this new insect repellent product that I think I might invest in. Have you heard about it? It's the Off Clip On Mosquito Repellent. The picture is to the left. Now, I don't know what the mosquito situation will be like, but this is pretty cool.
Another question, does regular bug spray prevent ticks? If you have any suggestions as to what I should bring or prepare for, please, oh please let me know. So far I have a tent, a sleeping bag and a cooler.

**Have I mentioned my Mom edits my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment