Monday, May 17, 2010

queso in new york? finally.


White, yellow, spinach, no spinach, thick, thin. Call it cheese dip, queso, Velveta & Rotel, or blanco queso. Regardless of how you make it or what you call it, I finally had real cheese dip in New York. Mexican is my favorite cuisine and it has always included cheese dip. I understand that it is an American addition to the genre, but come on, who turns down melted cheese?
Not this native Arkansan.

This past weekend I dog sat Huey P. Long while a friend
was surprising her Mom at her college graduation.
Thursday, I met her to get a set of keys, go over Huey's schedule, etc. After taking the dog out, Brooke mentioned she had to go to DSW to look for a pair of shoes. I hadn't been to my old stomping grounds, the Lower East Side, in quite a while so I tagged along. After having little success in the shoe department, it was after 9 and we were both starving. She mentioned a place nearby that served cheese dip. I almost didn't believe her because I have NEVER seen queso on a menu in New York! Well, she was right, and it was awesome.
She led me to Tortilla Flats in the West Village where we indulged on Mexican beer and homemade cheese dip. Two thumbs up for sure and a promise that I will visit again.

Huey P. Long

After work on Friday I headed to Dumbo, a neighborhood in Brooklyn, to stay with Huey. I had to work quite a bit over the weekend but Hugh and I had time to take some pretty fun walks, especially on Sunday morning. The weather is so nice right now. It is almost unbelievable. Dumbo below the Manhattan and Brooklyn Bridges and is right on the East River, which makes for incredible views. I'm contemplating moving when my lease ends in July. Maybe Dumbo is in my future? Who knows? Stay tuned.
Pictures below are views of the Brooklyn Bridge, Manhattan, architecture and sculptures around Dumbo, etc.




No comments:

Post a Comment