Tuesday, May 4, 2010

taste the freshness

Another local favorite in New York is the corner fruit stands. Between my seven minute walk "commute" to work each day, I pass three fresh fruit and vegetable stands. Usually passing the first one I can't help but pick up a couple of bananas and a carton of blackberries for $2.50.
I haven't found a grocery store with better prices, even while living in Columbia. A head of lettuce: $1; bell peppers: 2 for $1; a large quantity of broccoli: $1; as you can see, the prices are pretty good. And seriously you can't beat the quality. In the middle of New York, where there isn't much room for farming on the island... the produce that is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, right outside the front door is fantastic. If I ever move, I know it will be one the top of my "what I miss most" list.
The pictures above are from the produce stand right across the street from me, and the ones below are from the stand five blocks down from me that I pass on the way to work. You don't have to look at a $1 menu to get cheap eats!


No comments:

Post a Comment