Monday, March 1, 2010

who wears heels in the snow.... part one

Well, I'll tell you who wears heels in the snow; my sister. And not in just a light snow, or a semi-snow storm. She wore heels in a full on blizzard (flakes bigger than a half dollar). For those of you who know my sister, you will be happy to know that the complaining was kept to a minimum. Seriously, after walking ALL OVER Soho on Thursday, she never complained, but after about eight or nine hours, while our umbrellas were turning inside out, she managed to say the balls of her feet were hurting. Basically, an award should be given to Mickey. Snow doesn't stop her from being fashionable. Me on the other hand.... I looked very cute when we left the apartment that morning to go by Alice's Tea Shop around the corner for tea and scones, but before getting on the subway to go downtown I had to change to snow boots. I will spare fashion to not have another broken foot.

Mickey at the beginning of the day.

During the afternoon. Notice the increase of snow on the ground. It didn't get any better. I love snow.

Fun fact #1: If you live in a city where you can feel like your on vacation for five days, stay, it's a great feeling. 2 points for New York.

Let me back up a bit and be a little more detail oriented. Mick was scheduled to fly into New York around 11:45 on Wednesday night. I had worked all day and was exhausted. To keep from climbing in my bed and falling asleep before she arrived, I met up with some friends across the street to grab a bite for dinner and visit. Due to weather in Atlanta? I know, it doesn't make much sense, but its in the past now. After finally leaving Atlanta around 11, she landed at JFK, caught a cab and texted me in a bit of a panic, "Get me out of this cab. My driver keeps falling asleep." She made it in one piece, finally, at a quarter till 3 Thursday morning!

Thursday we woke up around seven and went to Alice's Tea Cup for tea and scones. This is one of my favorite places to have breakfast. Mickey quickly became obsessed, so obsessed in fact, that on Saturday morning I threw on sweats while she was in the shower and walked around the corner to get a couple of warm scones for us to have before we set out for the day.
Thursday was over-the-top fun! We started at Anthropologie, continued to H&M, and Topshop for a "small" day of shopping. Between shops we stopped at Balthazar's for lunch. I have eaten here a few times and each time it gets better and better. Well, Mickey and I had a glass of wine, an amazing goat cheese tart and we split a fabulous chicken sandwich. The perfect amount for the two of us on such a cold and snowy day. I have to say, Mick was a trooper in those heels in the mass amount of snow. Don't worry, pictures are coming soon. When you see it, you will believe it.

Lunch at Balthazar

After shopping all day, I had planned for us to run uptown to my apartment, get ready for the night in about thirty minutes, which again, Mickey surprised me and was ready to go in under the time allotted. We grabbed a cab back down to Soho to one of my favorite places to grab a cocktail, Bar 89. The address is 89 Mercer, hence the name. I've only been once, but I knew it was right up Mickey's ally. Sitting down we ordered martini's and chatted about how wonderful the day had been. We talked to Mimi on the phone and had a ball. Mickey said, "who is that in the grey shirt over there." I looked over and had no idea, but then it hit me. When he put his chin in his hand and his fingers on his bottom lip, while his legs were crossed, I knew it; Isaac Mizrahi.

Mickey and I at Bar 89
After drinks we caught a cab to make our dinner reservations at Nobu. I always say, "to stay at 'hotel Searcy,' you must treat me to dinner." Well, Mick took it above and beyond! She somehow got reservations and once we sat down, to my right was Kathy Bates, the mom in Failure to Launch. We had an incredible meal. If you ever go I suggest the Rock Shrimp, as well as the Jalapeno Tuna. After a dinner to never forget we hopped in a cab to head home. Mickey fell asleep in oh.... 20 seconds.

Friday was another busy day. I didn't wake up until Mickey was about 75% ready to go, but I put myself together and took her to an adorable boutique across the street, Olive & Bette's. The first time I went in I thought, this place is my Tulips [Tulips is a boutique in Little Rock, Heights area] Pink stripped walls, a bit of Free People and a wonderful staff; yes, 100% my Tulips.

The greater half of the day was spent at Saks Fifth Avenue. It was like the heavens opened and we heard angels singing! Marc Jacobs new collection was out and I could have convinced Mickey to spend her life savings, but we both ended conservatively, each purchasing one top. I know Mickey will say, for the record, she bought her shirt first, then I saw the same shirt in bright neon yellow, and could not stop thinking about it for several hours, so I went back and purchased the same top/different color! I found a couple tops on sale and fantastic pair of sandals --- why I bought sandals when I have weeks of winter left, I have no idea, but nonetheless, come Spring, I'll be sporting a funky pair of gold jellies.

After shopping at Saks we ventured into the BIG H&M on Fifth, which is basically good for one thing; an anxiety attack, and then cruised down Fifth making a pit stop at Tiffany's. Excuse for going in --- "Maggie's never been." Good, right? Regardless, we had a ball.

Our reservations that night were at Mario Batali's restaurant, Otto. Mickey has been twice, I have been once. I think I can easily say it is Mickey's "go to" NY restaurant, and believe me, it's climbing the charts in my book as well. Our waitress Amy was a "22" on a scale of 1-10! We had cheeses from around the world with meats that were out of this world. For our entree we decided to get a pizza and pasta to split. We had a fantastic pizza, with a sunny-side egg on top-- absolutely to-die for!! Mickey ordered her staple pasta, which we were unable to eat that night, but enjoyed for lunch today. Unable to refuse the homemade gelato, we indulged. I savored the creme fraiche and pistachio, while Mickey enjoyed the lemon-huckleberry swirl and vanilla. All in all the day was fantastic!

Stay tuned. More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment