Tuesday, September 1, 2009

what more do i need?

I have chairs and Whitney Houston.
I have beautiful weather that I have never, EVER experienced before Labor Day weekend.
I have meetings and brunches scheduled with magazine people this week.
I got a pedicure and manicure for $20.
Oh, and I am only a short train ride away from the US Open.

Before moving to New York, I didn't have a job, which is still the case today, but people continually told me that September should start changing things up, for the better. Today is September 1, and already I can see things changing.

My design professor from college told me that I could not say I was unemployed until September. Until then I could say, "I'm a recent graduate." Well I guess today I am to consider myself officially unemployed.

Usually I wake up and wonder, "what the heck am I going to do today?" But after falling asleep watching Andy Roddick's first round, I had an amazing slumber and awoke refreshed and ready to start the day. Although I am still unemployed and trying to budget myself under $20 a day, life has its perks in New York. Like this morning, I woke up, made myself breakfast (scrambled eggs and toast...yum!) walked down to the corner for a grande coffee and then walked into the nail salon for a mani and pedi.

After getting my nails done (and for once not ruining them in 10 minutes) I went to Central Park. Yesterday, mom texted me and asked if I was going to see Whitney Houston, and I really had no idea what she was talking about since I haven't woken up in time to watch GMA in weeks. (aka Good Morning America for all you Today Show people...) But after researching it a bit, I saw that she was singing at Rumsey Playfield in Central Park, Sept. 1. But then all I saw was "gates open at 11:00a.m.
Since i am not a die-hard fan of Whitney's I did not camp out to get in or go early this morning, I decided to stroll by after noon to see if she had started singing. A combination of my my tone-deafness as well as no sense of "on key/off key" I thought everything I heard was awesome. Apparently her voice cracked, but I don't know if I heard it or I was just in awe of her voice all together that I just overlooked it. Read the story here, or watch GMA tomorrow morning for the real show.

Regardless of the critics, hearing WH apologize, blah, blah, blah, her voice is still amazing and from what I heard I give her two thumbs-up!

The other amazing thing that has happened in my life? CHAIRS.
I have sat on the floor to eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner for the past six weeks, but as of 3 o'clock yesterday, I got to sit in a chair and I haven't really left the chair since then. I've said it before but I'll say it again, each day my apartment feels more and more like home. Eating dinner while sitting in a chair seemed like a luxury yesterday.
I'm not at the apartment now, but when I get back I will be taking new pictures of my home to show you all the updates. The only thing missing is a bed frame, but I'm in no hurry, I feel on top of the world with my mattress on the floor!

Until next time,
ms

No comments:

Post a Comment