Tuesday, July 22, 2008

too busy vs. too bored

Okay so there really is no way of being bored in New York, but today my plans got cancelled because P.S.1 isn't opened on Tuesday's or Wednesday's and my day was left wide open. Completely open. Since both of my roommates were at work and I wasn't in the mood to go uptown or have to run through crowds of tourists in mid-town, I decided to explore more of the lower east side. 
I walked past a few parks, several schools, exploring more of my neighborhood.  I walked about a mile and a half and then stumbled upon Sugar Sweet Sunshine, a bakery that specializes in cupcakes. It is much like Magnolia Bakery but so much better. Haynes told me about it when I first moved here and I have read about it several times in local articles. Until
 now I had totally forgotten about it. 

Side note: It is the perfect place I would take Mimi -- pumpkin cupcakes and chai tea -- not to sweet, but just the right amount of sugar to make the icing perfect! Unfortunately I was there alone, so I bought one for each of my roommates so we could try a few, and I could surprise them when they returned from work. (Also half the price of Magnolia... and for everyone at home, these cupcakes win hands down to C on K... wink, Mickey). 
So after my morning of wondering what I was going to do all day, I found Sugar Sweet Sunshine. And if you are addicted to Magnolia or think it is the only cupcake that exists in the city, please take a step on the wild side and explore other options. My preference -- the pistachio cupcake!  

So after indulging in a cupcake and ordering in grilled fish for dinner with my roommates, I got a burst of energy (I know, weird, right?) and went running along the east river. *Disclaimer: for all of those concerned, there were tons of people running, it was light outside, it was one block from my apartment, and I'm still alive.* It was a fantastic run. The river had a few waves but by the sky it was noticeable a storm is nearing. 

P.S.1 is moved to this weekend, in case you were wondering. 
Added to my list of things to do before I leave is the Flower District... anyone else have suggestions? 

1 comment:

  1. I am loving your stories of your summer! The cupcake place sounds wonderful - glad you got a little break in the action. I luv all the family pics - bet you were glad to see them! Keep those adventures coming....

    love you, Mrs. Stephanie

    ReplyDelete