Wednesday, July 30, 2008

She suggested it... I did it

For the past several posts I have been asking for suggestions concerning things to do my last few weeks in the city. For as many people as I know read this blog, only one person has given me any response. And to her I am thankful, but really, all suggestions are still welcome.
Last week my aunt sent me an e-mail with a list of things to do on any given day of the week.
I woke up without a plan, without a single intention for the entire day. Before I let myself rent another movie on iTunes and crawl back into bed to hibernate, which was Sunday's list of activities, I got on my computer and began uploading pictures from the past weekend. In the process I checked some older e-mails that I had forgotten about and stumbled upon all of the suggestions my aunt had supplied.

Thus I had a schedule for the day. After showering and getting ready, I headed to the Flower District. When I got off the train I wasn't sure which direction I should go, so I chose what I thought was east and started walking. Before seeing a single petal the scent of the city had made a 180 degree turn. Roses, hyacinths, and cala lillies, galore. I picked up my pace and got my camera out. There really is nothing like it anywhere else in the city. It reminded me of Papa's greenhouse but in the middle of a metropolis. I ducked into different wholesalers and flower houses and chatted with several shop owners. I watched one man make arrangements three feet in height, with bamboo, moss, and touches of color from hyacinths. Breathtaking.
Palms lined the sidewalks which gave shade to boxes of rose petals that were being bought by the ounce. Baskets, bamboo, and sticks of all shapes and colors were lining store windows to inspire any floral decorator to walk through the door. What is now left of the flower district (predominantly 27th st. between 6th ave. & 7th ave.), was easy to enjoy and reminded me of fond childhood memories.

After walking up and down 27th st. I headed for my next destination, Big Nicks. Located at 77th and Broadway, Big Nicks is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and has cheap food. It was mid-afternoon and I sat outside in the shade enjoying the nice breeze and gazed over the 23 page menu, which predominantly included "unbeatable beefburgers." Looking over and over the menu, I searched for a turkey burger and came up short. So, Dad, I embraced the beef and ordered a cheeseburger. Be proud, I clearly haven't given up on red meat, just taken a hiatus. I lingered at Big Nicks for over an hour reading, writing, and people watching. It was very relaxing.

Next on my aunt's list was Zabar', conveniently located a couple blocks away from Big Nicks. She also had Filene's Basement on the list, but I found that on my own a while a go, and emptied my wallet at the Union Square location on Monday, thus I passed the one on the Upper West side, but I did not pass up Zabar's. I could outfit my entire kitchen, refrigerator, and pantry at Zabar's. I managed to snag a few gifts for people and wander around aimlessly for nearly an hour. It soon became a little crowded for my liking and since I was done shopping I slipped out and began heading back downtown to my neck of the woods.

1 comment:

  1. i want to go to the flower district. i want to be in nyc with you!

    ReplyDelete