Tuesday, September 28, 2010

cork art?


Since 2006 I have collected corks. Seventy five percent of them have dates written on them along with who I dined with. Special ones include my college graduation dinner, my sister visiting New York, wine nights with my girlfriends in college, birthdays and multiple weddings. I keep them all in two large glass vases, which are soon to overflow. I've been trying to think of something I could eventually do with them because I don't want to just throw them away. That would be like throwing away a box of old photos and memories.

Other than keeping the corks bottled up (ha!) I found a few new ideas, other than the typical cork board and coasters made from old corks. The first picture is what most of my corks look like, which Belle Maison calls cork journaling. I never thought of it as journaling, but it is just that. I can look back at a little cork and remember where I was and who I was with... and clearly, what we drank.

Second, a festive wreath. I don't know if I want to paint my corks, but I like the idea, even it is kept natural with merely a red bow added for that Christmasy affect. The clock is also I sleek way of using corks. I stumble upon a lot of old clocks at the flea markets that really just need a new battery and a fresh coat of paint, but applying the corks to the face could give a retro clock a whole new feel. Apartment Therapy always has new and innovative ways of recycling materials. Like making a bath mat out of corks. I don't think i would have thought about doing this, but what I like most about the idea is that you can make it any size you want.

Have you made or seen other projects with repurposed wine corks? I'm always shopping for new ideas.

photo: cork journaling, wreath, clock, Belle Maison; bath mat, Apartment Therapy

No comments:

Post a Comment