Sunday, August 8, 2010

small space sacrifices

Wherever you are, whatever you're doing, there are usually sacrifices that must be made. In my case, many "normal" household amenities, which are usually considered necessities, are my sacrifices.

For example, a kitchen table. I don't have one. For the most part my bed serves as my dining space, but on the rare occasion that my "coffee table" also known as a small bedside table is clear, I will pull up a chair, lean over, and try to fit my plate on less than one square foot of surface space. This is a challenge I have learned to conquer on a regular basis.

Possible Alternatives

A TV tray? Buying is a potential problem because they usually come in sets of four. And what am I ever going to do in this apartment with four TV trays? At most, only three people can fit in my apartment that is, without being on top of each other.

Maybe this vintage turquoise number could be something to think about. Too bad it's only sold in the UK. I'm sure there is some place in the city that sells them, or at least something similar. Thoughts? Ideas? Is a TV tray the answer to my dining dilemma?

A framed side table? West Elm, and many other home interior stores offer a more modern approach to the classic "TV tray." For example, this side table slide under a chair or bed and offer a close surface area. The only chairs I have in my apartment are my grandmother's vintage mid-century modern metal folding chairs, which I cleaned up, painted and reupholstered a few years ago. This type of side table would work with those chairs, but with a height of only 23.5" would it fit comfortably next to my bed? This is a possibility but maybe not the most practical.

Hmmmm... decisions, decisions. More to come about small space sacrifices.

3 comments:

  1. I've always loved those side tables from West Elm. Maybe Papa Joe could build you one custom to fit with your bed? Then you could use it for your laptop too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Will you help me design a new blog template? I feel lame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was looking at those west elm tables last night online and wanting one.

    ReplyDelete