Monday, May 9, 2011

nothing beats new york in the spring


It has been a crazy past few days/weeks. And the season has just begun. Softball has started back up and while did much better last week than the week before, we're still 0-2. In thursday's game I made an out, hit three times but only got one single. The score was only 2-1 so we weren't that upset. We still have time to improve before the playoffs.

Thursday evening, two friends came to stay with me for a few days. Aimee and I worked at Voxmagazine and had several design classes together. Currently she and her husband, Doug, are living in Scotland while Doug is getting his PhD from the University of St. Andrews. Doug had a conference on Friday so Aimee and I had a girls day. It being her first time in New York I took her to Central Park and 5th Avenue and we walked around the Plaza hotel, saw Rockefeller Center, Times Square and ended the day seeing a play on Broadway. After the show, Doug met us at Malachy's while we grabbed a bite and relaxed after a very, very busy day.

Saturday we all slept in till noon and once we finally got out of the apartment we stopped byLansky's and picked up huge New York deli sandwiches and a bottle of wine. We walked over to Sheep's Meadow in Central Park and sat under a big tree and had a picnic. It was perfect. As iconic as picnic's in Central Park are, I have never had one. I've spent a lot of time in the park but 70 degrees and sunny on a Saturday afternoon with friends, totally tops the charts. After the park we walked over to the MET and spent upwards of 6 hours looking at as much as we could. Well, Aimee and I looked at as much as we could while Doug lingered in the Greek and Roman exhibits. The best, by far, was the new exhibit, Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty.Breathtaking and intense is the best way I can describe it. The meaning and thought behind each collection was portrayed beautifully. If you are in the city before July 31, it is a must visit exhibit.

Aimee and Doug in the park

Aimee and I having a picnic in the park

Sunday, Aimee and Doug headed downtown to Union Square and Battery Park with a friend of theirs from California. I wasn't visitor free though. A friend of mine from North Little Rock who is about to graduate from Penn State was in town for an advertising competition over the weekend. Rachel and a friend of hers met me at my apartment around noon on Sunday. Rachel has stayed with me a few times over the years and it is always a delight to see her. We went to a local place around the corner and had a satisfying and hearty brunch. We went back to my place for a bit before they had to head out. A short visit but a fun one.

No comments:

Post a Comment