Monday, August 8, 2011

pro ipad

My top reads for August

NEW BOOK: The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins

OLD BOOK: Light in August, William Faulkner

REREAD: The Help, Kathryn Sockett

Whether it is an iPad, Nook, Kindle, Kobo Touch... probably the best technology thus far in the 21st century. I, myself have an iPad. Reason being that not only can I play a million games, check the weather, shop online, check my e-mail, but I can show my digital portfolio including more than pieces viewable on my Web site. Whereas that is a professional benefit, my favorite use of the iPad is reading. I am not a very fast reader and never have been. Mostly, because if I tried to read fast I would really miss the point. But e-readers have changed everything. I have been flying through books, novels, scripture. Making notes, highlighting, learning so much.

Top reason I like the iPad for reading. There is a free Nook app and a free Kindle app. So basically it's the best of ALL e-readers. I know this is kind of contradictory to my love of print and the amount of magazines and books I own, but my rational is if I want to read a no brainer, young adult fiction book, I can and not spend $20 on it. But I can carry around Homer's Odyssey and Iliad and not break my back. And since those are two of my favorite novels, I own them, in print and digital. There is no reason you can't have both.

Why do I bring this up now, when e-readers have been around for a few years now? Well, my head has felt like a balloon for two days, my nose is running, my eyes are itching, and it doesn't take a medical degree to know that I have a sinus infection and head cold. This in turn is a perk and the downside of working from home. I might be sick, but I can't take off work, but I can still lay in my PJs, sit in my comfy chair, drinking tea and reading on my iPad, when I'm not working on the laptop.

No comments:

Post a Comment