Monday, August 3, 2009

my life - currently

I apologize that I haven’t blogged in a few days, and I wish I could say it were because I was working or off doing something really cool. But if I said that then I would be lying.

And for the most part the past week hasn’t been very eventful, besides moving in to my sweet new shoebox in the sky of the Upper West Side.

But seriously, last week I spent most of my time waiting on boxes to arrive (since I had to be there to sign…. and they all tended to come around 5 o’clock or later. I wish I would’ve taken a picture of my apartment last week. It was full of 30-50 pound boxes overflowing with… clothes, towels, kitchenware and books. Finding a place for everything, was nearly impossible, as I had no hangers, no storage to put anything in. I finally went to buy hangers but then it took a couple of days of motivation to get everything put away. Now my shoebox looks empty again: one lonely air mattress with one pillow, green sheets and a brown blanket.

I was finally able to go to the grocery store now that I have forks, spoons, knives, and plastic drinking cups from every bar in Columbia, Missouri (yes, I made sure before I left Columbia that I had minimum ten cups to bring with me; who needs to purchase glass when you can have Shakespeare’s, Tin Can, Big 12, Heidelberg, and Mizzou outfitting your cabinets? Maybe it’s just me). Slowly but surely I’ll be filling up my apartment.

Many people say New York is a pocket-empting, no saving, type of town. But guaranteed everyone that says that does not understand the amount of free things to do or get. Yesterday I walked out of my building and found a futon, side table, and random stuff that someone was throwing out because they were moving. Whereas, I’m not the one to take a mattress off the street, I grabbed that table and carried back to my apartment. Last year I found a free TV on the street, and this year I have a table, thus far. Hey, pay it forward.

So I’m between two things that I should buy (not today, not tomorrow, but when I actually have a job with an income) for my “kitchen.” Currently I have 2 gas burners to cook on, a sink, and an oversized mini frig with a very mini freezer. Also my GF, George finally arrived in the mail last week. I cannot live with my George Foreman! So the question at hand is: should I buy a microwave or a confectioner oven? I know the microwave is practical and I’ve never lived without one but is cooking time the only advantage to the microwave? There is a lot you can cook in the oven and not in the microwave, but is there a lot you can do with a microwave that cannot be done with a mini oven?

My dad told me I cant put a microwave in a cabinet so my four square feet of counter space is limited. I don’t have room for both appliances. Living in the 21st century would you ever think this would be as big of a decision as it actually is?

Big news of the week: grocery shopping; I finally have milk, cheerios (can’t find trix!), hummus, and ingredients for PBJ; I’m pretty much set.

What’s next? Continuing the job search and meeting people. Confinement in a white wall room with basically nothing in it, can really make a person crazy. Thank goodness for technology, although I dropped my itouch in the bathtub. Not cool.


No comments:

Post a Comment