Monday, November 12, 2012

apartment redesign

I have been wanting to redo my apartment for months/years and I am finally doing it. For the past six weeks, with the help of several amazing friends, my apartment has been transformed. It isn't finished yet, but it has come a long way. The pictures tell the story the best.
 Where it started. 

Clearly over 3 1/2 years, i have accumulated, well, too much stuff

Moving furniture to new places. 


It was a jigsaw puzzle. (in this photo, Jay is behind the mattress holding it up).


Bed in final location. everything not being donated, packed in boxes. 
The TV is down. Best thing that has happened since I got that TV, eh, sorry Dad. 

Four shades of grey. Picking paint color. 

Sold. Farrow & Ball #265, Manor House Grey is the winner.
Paint purchased. Now to gather the troops. 

Projects stop, Sandy visited. Caught up on A LOT of television. 

Power went out for a few hours during the night. I might have played 50 hands of solitaire. 

And we're back. November 3, the Salvation Army came by and picked up six trash bags of clothes, two trash bags of shoes, and two bookcases. The paint crew (Camille and Derrick Scott) patched all the holes, and put the painters tape up (which apparently, I'm horrible at, but Camille --- rockstar). 

As you can see these two can handle anything. Yes I helped some, but the football game was on. Priorities.

I don't think I could live in New York without this guy. His superpower is handiness and attention to detail. Taped the whole ceiling and painted the top foot and "molding." 
Thank you a hundred times over, D! 

And done. Five hours, start to finish. Perfect shade of grey.

More of the ceiling detail. Left it white. Apartment looks so much bigger and feels even taller, and they'fre 12 feet to begin with.

The kitchen area and detail. The white cabinets pop so well. 

Then on November 5, we get this. The week after Sandy, this is outside my door. 
This clearly made me want to do more to my apartment. So I ordered the white lacquered Parsons desk from West Elm that I have been eying for years. 

Friday, I left work half an hour early to catch the UPS guy. Walking into my building I see the UPS truck. After running upstairs, I see the dreaded sticker on my door. "Sorry we missed you, we'll try again Monday." NO! I grabbed the ticket, ran outside, half way down the street and waited for the UPS man to come back to his truck. After a short wait, he comes out and I asked him if he had my desk, and he did! He kindly delivered it shortly after.

I immediately put it together (took all of half an hour). And it is just perfect. 
Oh, and that lamp is new. Bought it a few weeks ago but had not taken out of the box because I hadn't painted yet and had no where to put it. Now it lives on my new desk. 

That is the redesign thus far. More to come. Looking for blinds/shades, bedding, mirror to hang over dresser (which is in Arkansas), hang all my artwork, oh, and get a rug. Just a few things left of my to-do list. 

Hopefully by January I'll have made as much progress, if not more. 

Saturday, I bought new glasses. Geek chic! 











1 comment: