Friday, November 27, 2009

thankful for friends and family


The morning of Thanksgiving 2008, I stood in front of the TV in our kitchen while the rest of my family naturally filtered in to chat, well, to actually yell on top of each other. As I stood watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade I said, "I will be there next year."

At that point I was still high from my summer stint in the city and could not wait to return. Telling everyone who would listen that I would not be watching the parade on TV next year. I would be there.

No photos yet, they are on my camera still, but I have proof that I was at the parade--- I have confetti in my shoes, on my sweater, in my purse... it is like a never ending flood of tiny pieces of paper.
Morgan and I met about 4 a.m. and walked down to the corner of 72nd and Central Park West and set up camp. We had a blanket and playing cards. We scheduled our arrival almost perfectly, because has we waited another twenty minutes, we would not have been on the front row for the festivities.

Spiderman led the parade and the Pillsbury doughboy wasn't too far behind. Ending with Santa and Mrs. Claus, the parade was everything I thought it would be. Amazing! Definitely put it on your list of things to do before you die if you haven't ever been.

After the parade, Morgan and I crashed for three hours before we had to get to Penn Station to catch our train to head to Lancaster, Pennsylvania.
I have never been anyhere in the Northeast of the country besides New York other than a bus trip to DC last summer. The train ride was pretty and this part of the country is breathtaking. Another thing to add to your list of things to do.... visit Lancaster.

Morgan's brother picked us up at the station and we headed to their home for Thanksgiving dinenr. FINALLY! Morgan and I were starving at this point, and having dreams of turkey and gravy! We arrived, put up our bags and sat down at the table.
I am thankful for Morgan and her family for allowing me to spend the holiday with them and open up their home to me this weekend. So far, it has been nothing but fabulous.

Oh no. The evening did not stop after dinner. We listened to music, played games, chatted, and then... went shopping.
(I AM NOT a fan of Black Friday!) Today, Friday, is the first time in five years I am not working in retail on this dreaded/beloved unofficial holiday.

Morgan, her mom and I ventured to the J.Crew outlet for the midnight sales. A parking place -- nonexistent. One in one out. No, not for a bar or a nightclub, but for J.Crew. Morgan and I went in while Reyna cruised the parking lot, I lasted maybe ten minutes. I went back and traded seats with Reyna and said "I'm done. No way can I handle that." She was stoked, so I took the car (and oddly enough found a parking place in the first five minutes) and Morgan and Reyna shopped for about an hour. They are champs and got some great stuff, but I was done. I can say I attempted and I've done it... but I hope I don't do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment